Church History and Records
The Church has served the village for nearly 800 years and we are lucky enough to have a good collection of church records. Over the past few years the Church has undergone extensive repair and renovation work. In 2016 work will be undertaken to repair the church tower roof and paths. Following an inspection in 2013 the church structure was threatened by Death Watch Beetles and thanks to a tremendous fundraising effort by the Village the major repairs were completed.
We are lucky enough to have transcripts of church records for christenings[C], marriages[M] and burials[B] lists from 1575 until 1787
The Church Records of St Andrew's recording births, marriages and deaths, from 1575 - 1731 as transcribed from the original register by Rector L Wilson Foster M.A. in 1960. Prepared for Leicestershire Villages by Mrs J. Holland. These are available in two volumes in PDF format.
Janice Holland has provided this website with the Church Records of St Andrew's recording births, marriages and deaths, from 1731- 1787.
The complete christenings[C], marriages[M] and burials[B] lists from St. Andrew's Church, Burton Overy (which still exist) can be found at the Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland. These are:
C 1575 - 1877 M 1575 - 1990 (1959) B 1575 - 1936 BTs 1572 - 1851 with gaps
The dates for banns held are shown in brackets. Bishop's Transcripts [BTs] are contemporary copies which are also shown. It also provides information about burials and cremations outside the parish church.
There is no civic cemetery at Burton Overy and cremation is most likely to take place in one of the county Crematoriums. The Crematorium for Leicester city is at Gilroes Cemetery, Groby Road, Leicester LE3 9QG. Records began in 1902 and can be accessed through Leicester City Council, New Walk Centre, Welford Place, Leicester LE1 6ZG